Sunday, May 08, 2011

A series of questions from a mom-to-be =D

Went to a baby fair yesterday. Being clueless I am, I bought nothing. I have no idea what should I buy or what's considerably cheap & what's not & I couldn't help wondering...

  • How many baby feeding bottles do we actually need? I saw a package of half dozen baby feeding bottles. I thought 3 are more than enough so why do we need 6 or many of them?
  • If I plan to feed my baby with EBM, what do I need besides a breastpump? Breastpad? Extra bottles for storage? Cooler? Warmer? I think the list can go on & on. Somehow I find it kinda complicated.
  • A stroller can be ~RM300 to RM thousands! Does it make a lot of difference just like the price itself?
  • The same question with warmer + sterilizer. The branded one may costs RM300++ but the non-branded (never heard of the brand) is just RM100++. The branded one might performs a lot better but how do we know that the non-branded one is not as good?
  • Cloth diaper is cute. I'm tempted to buy it. But do we actually need it when there's a disposable one??
  • Same goes with play gym. So cute. Same problem. A big difference in price for the branded & local one. What's the advantage of buying the branded one?
  • Ok, I guess it's still early for me to wonder about all these stuff. Not that I'm gonna buy them now. Hmm... how early is too early anyway?
  • Actually I have a lot of questions but kinda lazy to google for the answers. So, last question for now... can I expect that I'll somehow get the answers as the time goes by? Let's hope so... ;)
  •  
    Yesterday, I received a phone call from my mom in law. She wished me "Selamat Hari Ibu". InsyaAllah. How sweet...

    Selamat Hari Ibu!!!

    4 comments:

    Mimi said...

    Perhaps I could provide u w some inputs, but to lazy to write.. Nnt bebila aku dtg ofis boleh sembang! Haha :D

    Ko mesti dh register babycenter kan? drpd article2 kt situ pun bole dpt byk sgt info..

    1 je jawapan for now, botol susu tu aku rasa minimum 2, 1 as back-up kalau terhilang ke tertinggal kt mana2 ke.. Tapi ko kene kira gak yg nnt ko maybe nak spare kan bila dh tinggal kt babysitter etc.. Aku recommend avent. Dia leceh sket nk cuci, tapi dia anti colic and kalau puting newborn kan, dia mmg takkan keluar air kalau ur baby tak hisap. And i think this is one way to prevent baby tersedak susu..


    Yg lain bila jumpa ko tanya balik ek? hehehehe

    M said...

    A) 3 will be enough actually. Perhaps they're selling half dozen for ebm. It's wayy better to use the plastic storage to keep the ebm. Jimat ruang.

    B) Even you're fully bf, breastpad is a must. Nnt area breast basah especially time susu baru nak banyak. During my first pregnancy, bought one set avent beastpump. Manual. 200 ringgit plus for one set. Inside, storage bottles, a manual pump, storage bag, cooling bag, breastpad and other few things. Quite worth it. But mothers now tends to buy the medela. It's good tho, especially the freestyle breastpump. And quite expensive too. Get a good deal at fb, they're selling them a 1.2 or 1.5 k each. O else, just go for manual pump. Pilih yg tekan, bukan yg tarik .

    C) i love maclaren! Lightweight and easy to handle. Can get a quest maclaren at 700 plus. There's one shop at the curve, same level with mothercare, the first few years. The SAs rreally help you out on this matter. I love 4 wheels stroller. Easy to handle than the 3 wheels. Senang nak naik escalator. Usually the cheapo is heavy. Or udara susah nak bergerak. Most importantly when choosing a stroller, ask yourself. Do you want a stroller from new born till certain age or you want your baby to sit on the stroller from 6 months above? Go for new born stroller. Sonang the mother nak bergerak shopping berjalan nanti. There's also a baby carrier. Samada yg pakai mcm baby kanggaru atau yg mcm cradle. It's all up to your taste, budget and lifestyle.

    D) Bottle warmer, depends on which bottle do you want to use. Some of them cant fit other brands bottle. Must be from their own bottle jugak.

    E) Call me lazy n not-so-earth mate, but am using the disposable. Senang. Plus all my son clothes, i basuh tangan since the beginning. Fuhh! Penat. Tapi worth it. Stock up diapers at home before delivery. Kadang2 rega diapers ni can be mencekik darah and kadang2 murah giler! Buy the S size. Not the new born. Takut nanti the baby cant fit with the new born size. Sometimes the baby skin can be extra sensitive, just incase, buy mamy poko for the baby. Or peppet. Huggies ultra is good for baby n not for walking kiddo. Nanti cepat meleret.

    F) dont worry about play gym and such. Nnt mesti ada yg bagi presents.

    G) The branded items/ the expensive ones are the made with care. Less chemical for the kids, especially the colours. Some experts said the stuff from china is not good for babies. Well, i think e erything is from china now. Just trust your instinct. You will do well.

    Fro the crib, do you want a wooden crib or the playpen? It's all up to your liking. Some like wooden, nampak mcm steady and some like the playpen. Senang nak angkut ke mari ke sana.

    Anyway, dah berapa bulan?

    Congrats btw!

    PurPlè said...

    mimi,
    TQVM! baru tau x semua botol susu sama wlupun btk mcm sama je. yup, i hv lotsa questions to ask u. babycenter? 1st time dgr ni. hiks that's why i said i'm clueless. website mana yg bagus pun x tau. mmg nk kene register ni.

    PurPlè said...

    kecik,
    TQVM! really appreciate all ur answers. sgt2 mmbantu. & guess what, not juz u answered all my questions, even question yg i dah x larat nk jot down which is about the crib pun, u jawab sekali. u r like a mind reader! x sia2 rupanya menulis blog ni... hiks.

    alhamdulillah, dah (baru) 4 bulan. thanx again! if u hv more tips or anything regarding the matter, share lah ye. xoxo =D